- 1 cup raw cashews or macadamia nuts (120g)
- 1/3 cup to 3/4 cup water, depending on how thick you want your cream
1. In a bowl, cover the cashews with water and let sit at least 3 hours (no longer than 8).
2. Drain completely, then combine the drained cashews with the water and blend until very smooth (a full minute in a Vita-Mix, or much longer in a food processor, making sure to scrape down the sides occasionally).
3. For a sweet cream, add pure vanilla extract, salt, and sweetener (if using 3/4c water, add 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Also add 1-2 tbsp maple syrup. or a few pitted dates.) For a savory cream, add a little salt and perhaps some lemon juice, miso, fresh or dried herbs, etc.
This recipe lasts 3-4 days in the fridge, or it can be frozen. Makes up to 1 1/2 cups cashew cream.