Polenta with Poached Eggs + Marinated Artichokes
- 6 artichoke hearts (fresh, jarred, or frozen and thawed, quartered)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 3 cups water / veggie / chicken broth
- 3/4 cup medium-grain polenta
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- Combine artichokes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the vinegar, parsley, and re pepper flakes. Season with salt and let marinate at room temperature.
- Bring milk and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Gradually add polienta and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed and polenta is tender, 18-20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining oil and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and cover. (If polenta becomes too thick, whisk in more water, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Fill a saucepan with 2 inches water + 1/2 tsp white vinegar (optional) ; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Crack 1 egg at a time into a tea cup and gently slide into simmering water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook until whites are just set and yolks are still loose, 3-4 minutes. Remove eggs from water using a slotted spoon
- Divide polenta among 4 serving bowls. Top each bowl with an egg and artichokes. Serve immediately.