Creamy Broccoli White Bean Soup
- 1 head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into florets and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbls pine nuts
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
1 Set a steamer basket or colander in a pot filled with 2 inches of boiling water. Add broccoli florets and stems in an even layer. Cover an steam until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup florets for garnish.
2 Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until translucent, stirring often, about 6 minutes. Add beans and stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in broccoli. Let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth, being careful not to fill blending container more than half way each time. Reheat after blending. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Top with pine nuts, toasted if you like and shaved cheese.