Warm Barley Cereal with Dried Cherries
- 1 quart unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
1 In a large saucepan, stir together 3 1/2 cups almond milk, barley, flax meal, and salt over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in dried cherries and cinnamon and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cereal is tender and creamy, about 5 minutes more.
2 Remove from heat and add maple to taste. Divide among bowls and drizzle remaining 1/2 cup almond milk over top. Serve topped with raspberries and, if desired, additional maple.