Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- 1 15 oz. can (~ 1 3/4 cups) black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 2 large flax eggs (2.5 T flaxseed meal + 6 T water)
- 3 T coconut oil, melted (or sub other oil of choice)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (the higher quality the better)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- heaping 1/2 cup raw sugar, slightly ground or pulsed in a food processor or coffee grinder for refined texture
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Optional toppings: crush walnuts, pecans or semisweet chocolate chips
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 Lightly grease a 12-slot standard size muffin pan (not mini).
3 Prepare flax egg by combining flax and water in the bowl of the food processor. Pulse a couple times and then let rest for a few minutes.
4 Add remaining ingredients (besides walnuts or other toppings) and puree - about 3 minutes - scraping down sides as needed. You want it pretty smooth.
5 If the batter appears too thick, add a Tbsp or two of water and pulse again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting but nowhere close to runny.
6 Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin and smooth the tops with a spoon or your finger.
*Optional: Sprinkle with crushed walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips.
7 Bake for 20-26 minutes or until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides. I found mine took about 25.
8 Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. They will be tender, so remove gently with a fork. The insides are meant to be very fudgy, so don't be concerned if they seem too moist - that's the point. Plus, they're vegan so it doesn't really matter.
9 Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Refrigerate to keep longer.